Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Amanda Overmyer is Outta There!

She is safe...from having to do any more of those dreadful, drippy group opening numbers on American Idol and having to schlep around the country on the American Idol Tour. Too square for Amanda. She knows what she wants to do and the show has given her her start. The tour will be boring without her, but she has better things to do. She makes American Idol look like the Mickey Mouse Club.

Kristy Lee Cook will be on the tour though. Why is that, I wonder? At least she'll be able to buy her horse back. She sold her horse to get a plane ticket to the American audition in Philadelphia. Allegedly. There's some question about her Oregon, log cabin, horse riding idealistic life before American Idol came along. The girl's a pro and was once signed to Arista, Nashville.

The best thing about American Idol last night was the Ford Commercial, and that's not saying much:



You can read the full recap over at MTV.

2 comments:

Will Campbell said...

I had a love/no-love thing with Amanda. I thought her hair color/wardrobes were outrageously contrived at times, and as much as I loved her ability to channel Janis, I knew I'd seen everything she had to offer. I guess the last nail for me was when one of the judges suggested a ballad and she blew it off with "ballads are boring!"

But I agree she's better off without the show and the show's better off without her.

On the bigger picture, I finally figured out what's bugging me about this season (besides the fact that it's populated with so many "pros." Chikezie aside and I guess Jason too, there's just not enough spontaneity to be found in the performances. Talent? For sure! But Michael and Kristy and Ramiel and Sayesha (sp) -- even frontrunners Carly and David -- there's too much method and not enough madness.

Jo Gillis said...

I pretty much agree with you on this one Will. Once Amanda hit Hollywood, it all did seem contrived. As for the rest, it's not interesting when it seems like carbon copies of all that went before.

David Cook stands out right now, for me. I can't say I like him, but I do like what he does with the music. Simon summed it up last week when he said something about if it remained a talent contest and not a popularity contest, David could win the whole thing.