Tuesday, March 25, 2008

David Cook Does it Again

David Cook has not been my favorite in this competition, but that's changing. The guy has pulled magic out of the hat twice now, first with an original arrangement of Lionel Ritchie's Hello and now with a somewhat dark arrangement of Billie Jean. It was refreshing after sitting through some disappointing performances and then suffering through Kristy Lee Cook's performance of that sickly, sappy, gooey, nauseating Lee Greenwood song, God Bless the U.S.A.

The only noteworthy performance of the evening, in my opinion:





You can read Jim Cantiello's full and interesting take on Tuesday's American Idol show over at MTV.

4 comments:

Will Campbell said...

I got home late last night just in time for my wife to rewind the TiVo and replay Cook's AMAZING performance. jaw-dropping. Best 'o the best!

I agree, he hasn't been my fave either but these last couple weeks he's been daring and confident and spectacular.

Now if he'd just do something with his silly hair!

Jo Gillis said...

Not only does your wife TiVo it for you, but she screens it for the good parts? I want someone to do that for me!

For a while there I was calling Dave Cook the "Something About Mary" guy, but he's toned his hair down a little bit. Maybe his hair is okay, it just doesn't sit well on that enormous head.

I've been able to get past all that ever since he started breaking away from the crowd.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that performance was phenomenal, enchanting, haunting. I found it so great I replayed it twice. I even listened to the version he copied and he was infinitely better. I've liked him for weeks and agree with you know who about his talent. I do agree with you about his hair and the size of his head. However, it all suits his rocker style. Proxypom

Jo Gillis said...

I'm always disappointed when an "original" arrangement of a well known song is not created by the singer, but he did justice to Chris Cornell's version of Billie Jean. I too liked his performance of the arrangement better.