Tuesday, April 8, 2008

American Idol - No Stellar Performances

Oh, here it comes again, that feeling that I can hardly wade through another episode of American Idol. We're getting into Idol Gives Back week and although I am all for them donating some of the outrageous amount of money generated by the American Idol Machine, I'm not thrilled that they are going to subject us to seeing stars hugging those less fortunate and giving the whole thing, sad, soppy theme music.

Not one performance tonight made me glad I had tuned in, not one. Michael Johns chose Aerosmith's Dream On. Steven Tyler is the only one that can sing and scream his way effectively through that song. There's an eeriness to Steven Tyler's vocals on this number, there was just an awkwardness about Michael John's performance. But hey, he's prettier than Steven Tyler.

Then it was Syesha's turn. She learned nothing from her time on American Idol, taking on the big songs that have already been done by the big stars and her performance of I Believe was..... well, I don't actually know, I spaced out and found myself mentally elsewhere until she had wrapped it up.

Jason Castro chose to sing Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Israel Kamakawiwoʻole style. I can't hear the late Mr. Ole singing that song without the tears flowing. I expected to feel that when Jason sang the song, but, well, it was just alright for me dude.

Kristy Lee Cook. She looks like she should be at the rodeo. My mind wandered through her performance.

I guess David Cook had to break that perfect streak sometime, but I was counting on him for some real music and I don't even know what he sang. The "Give Back" written on his hand was a little bit annoying and I was quite pleased when Simon said his performance was Pompous. What was with the white jacket?

Carly Smithson took on a Freddy Mercury number, The Show Must Go On. It seemed strained, although she was dressed a hell of a lot better this week.

David Archuleta did okay. He was better earlier on, and I just keep hoping for that breakaway performance. Could be the stress and lack of sleep is keeping him down.

I thought Brooke White would do well with a Carole King number, but it was, as Simon said, just pleasant.

I can't think of any performance worth seeing again, so here is Steven Tyler doing Dream On:

No comments: