Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Dolly, Jesus, Gravity and Buh-Bye Ramiele Mulaby

I'm hard pressed to remember much about American Idol last night, because while I stared, aghast at Dolly Parton, and the peculiar get-up she was wearing my mother said "can you imagine what she looks like naked?". I have to say, before that moment in time, I had never, ever, not once, tried to picture Dolly Parton naked. Mum went on to explain herself "well, she's had those bottom ribs removed and she's got those big breasts over an abnormally small waist - if you took away the wig, the fake eyelashes, the makeup and the clothes and high-heels she'd be a pretty strange looking person". I'm still not over what that has done to my mind's eye, but I had to admit she had a point. I think Dolly Parton is a very sweet person, but she's definitely gone into some strange territory with her looks.

She sang, or rather yelled out, Jesus and Gravity from her new album Backwoods Barbie. The performance was horrible, full of "Jesuses" and followed by some "hallelujahs", which I somehow noticed while trying not to picture her naked:



Oh yes, and then Ramiele was voted off. She has never really delivered a breakaway performance to make her stand out as more than just another talented singer. She cried, of course, but she pulled it together and sung her farewell performance. Next week, I'm hoping it will finally be Kristy Lee Cook who gets the boot.

No comments: