Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Andrew Lloyd Webber Night on American Idol April 22nd

Okay, this one was fun! I really enjoyed the show tonight, the highlight for me being Sir Andrew's interaction with Jason Castro. “Originally this song was sung by an ancient glamor puss” Sir Andrew explained to Jason. Andrew Lloyd Webber never imagined he would see a man with dreadlocks singing the song Memory. It gave him a bit of a jolt, he told us in that ever-so-proper British way. Jason said he didn't know the song was sung by a cat. I thought it was hilarious. Jason doesn't do so well with conversation, but he does have a certain something when he sings. It might not have been the best performance, but it was the first time I've enjoyed the song Memory as much and felt touched by the gentle delivery of the number.



Cringeworthy moment of the evening was Brooke White. With full musical backup, she lost the lyric and had to stop and then start again. It's not a first for her. Why do I get the feeling she does it on purpose? Maybe it's hard for me to believe she is really as sweet as she portrays herself or maybe it's how collected she appears to be when it happens. She never seemed to get past that little snafu and the number was disappointing.

I thought Paula seemed a little altered tonight. Can you imagine? She slurred a little and when Simon said that he felt the contestants needed to be memorable, it sounded like she muttered something about them having lots of memories, but I couldn't be sure. She sure does ramble on about things. She told David Cook he had a beautiful instrument and I was really glad her Chihuahuas didn't want to jump on stage and join it – Paula's Chihuahuas were the kiss of death for Michael Johns.

Sayesha Mercado really stood out tonight, but my favorite performance was Carly Smithson. I've just never really been a fan of Carly's, but I kept waiting for someone to do something from Webber's Rock Opera, Jesus Christ - Superstar. She livened the show up and it was, in my opinion, the best thing she's ever done on American Idol.

I'm still waiting for that breakout performance from David Archuleta. I've already forgotten what he sung tonight.

David Cook did the one song I hoped no one would do – Music of the Night. What was he thinking? It was nauseating. He had so many other songs to choose from and this was just not his style. Very disappointing.

Andrew Lloyd Webber himself was a kick. Sometimes I just love the British.

No comments: